Tuesday 25 August 2009

A quick quickie



Aaaah, that's the stuff. The stars have aligned themselves advantageously, and the bike feels the strongest it's been yet. To recap, we're currently on:

Halfords 10W 40 semi synthetic oil.
Activ-8 friction reducer.
K&N cone air filter
95 main jet (down from 100)
Needle in centre position (down from 2 up and 1 up)
Idle screw about 2 turns out
DPR8EA-9 plug with the earth electrode cut back.
97 octane fuel
Stock CDI
Aftermarket coil.

There we go. I did file the electrode back a little more, and it doesn't seem to have harmed it (yet). Now the bike is happy all the way through the rev range, pulls away strong, revs smoothly right up to 10,500 and the plug is staying clean. It's perhaps a little too clean, and I may go back to a 100 jet or raise the needle, but for my current short commutes it's probably good enough.

Today's purchase was 5 Metrics of Halford's 5W 40 fully synthetic oil. I had a look at Castrol Power 1 GPS 4T 10W-40, but it's 4 Metrics for the same price and only semi-synthetic. I want to give filthy Nature a body-swerve on the next oil change to see if I can reduce the clutch drag a little.

I'm modest to a fault
I feel that it's my duty to mention again how much positive attention this cheap little hack gets from other bikers. A Honda CB750 pilot - a proper classic bike, so obviously a discerning chap - collared me at the shops to enquire about it. Apparently it's a "really tidy little bike", a epithet with which I can only concur.

No comments:

Post a Comment