Sunday 21 February 2010

Let there be... different light



We need to talk. Times are tough, and I have to let you go.

The stock rear light cluster, I mean. Nice enough, but I think it looks out of place with the smaller seat.

I eBayed a smaller chromed light, and tonight I bodged it on. Now, normally I'd go in with the angle grinder, but the kiddies were in bed, so I had to do it on the shush. Also, there may be an element of learning involved here, in that I decided not to cut the stock light cluster mount to bits - yet. It also mounts the indicators and number plate, so it'll need some thinking through.

The temporary solution was to put a bit of 20mm x 20mm x 2mm aluminium angle across the two mounts for the stock light cluster, and hang the new light underneath. It doesn't look ideal, but it'll do for now. I can always go back and screw it up later.

Anyway, cut to the chase, here's the new light in situ:



I'll leave it until next weekend, then if I'm still enamoured of it, I'll likely lop the top off of the mount, run a bar across from the indicator bolts, and mount the rear light on top. Or not, as the whim takes me.

Something to watch out for is that The Man requires rear reflectors (stuck to my panniers, huzzah), and also a number plate light. The stock cluster has a clear patch underneath that ostensibly lets some light down onto the plate, but I'll have to add another light to do this. LED, naturally. eBay, ho!

[Update]

Ho'd!



Winner!

No comments:

Post a Comment