Saturday 28 March 2009

Let's rolllllllll!

Didn't I tell you that the chaps and chapettes at the DVLA were the salt of the earth? Didn't I tell you?

The "entitlement" document and tax disk arrived this morning, so off we went in search of a place that could make up a number plate. Local Halfords: out of stock. Local Autoparts: don't make bike plates. Hamilton Autoparts... score! Cons: they admitted that the plate was 4mm smaller than the DVLA regs. Pros: they made it up gave it to me gratis. Now that's customer service!

Still lacking a tax disk holder, I had to find an actual bike parts store. Armed with a satnav and a mobile connection to the wife, I finally tracked down J&S Accesories Ltd in Hamilton. Expecting some pokey hole-in-the-wall dive, I drove past it twice before finally realising that the big clean warehouse outlet was indeed "J&S". Wow, what a treasure trove. Acres of leather, cordura and carbon fibre bondage gear being sniffed and pawed by Mid Life Crisis Men and their familes. People Carriers parked outside: 10. Bikes parked outside: 0. Nice. With an "all items 20% off" discount, the prices were comparable with fleaBay, so I'll be back there, no doubt, in my next credit card billing month. I quite fancy some independent torso armour to go under my classic un-armoured leather jacket and hi-vis, or I may skip the layering and splash out for a hi-vis armoured leather jacket:





Anyway, we're nearly there. A quick detour to B&Q for assorted bolts and washers and such, the tax disk holder, number plate and rear L-plate were drilled and secured and then we're finally - finally - road legal. Give or take 4mm, I mean, but I can live with the illicit thrill.

And there's only one thing left to do: leathers, lid and gloves on, crank it up and... into the sunset, hoh!



No comments:

Post a Comment