Tuesday 31 March 2009

Toasty-warm engine, mmmm.

Yesterday's mixture adjustment seems to have done the trick; the bike idles happily while warming and is more eager at low revs today. Damn, I'm running out of things to fiddle with; hopefully the bike will start acting up soon and provide some greasy-fingered entertainment.

I got around to fitting my Windjammer and gave it a spin:




It seems to do a decent job of keeping the noise down and excluding drafts, but then I didn't exceed 40... I mean 30 mph, so I don't yet know how it works at higher speeds. Also, there's a certain "birth canal" feeling to putting the helmet on, although spreading the 'jammer with the straps helps to get it over the ears. Verdict: qualified success, although I wouldn't say with certainty that it removes the need for earplugs. And if it doesn't, then is there really much point to it, especially in hot weather? We'll keep this under review.

And now the time comes for the pimping. First on the agenda is some crash bars, for visibility and road presence as much as crashworthiness. I haven't found any for the Huoniao, but from what I can make out, these bars are fairly generic: bolt-on mounts at the bottom of the frame (and the Huoniao has a bracket down there) and a U-clamp to hold them to the top of the frame.

So I've gambled on fleaBaying a set designed for a Jinlun 125 RS. It's a "sports" bike, but I'm going to go out on a limb and venture to suggest that most of these chinese CG-clone engined bikes use very similar frame geometries. For £20 delivered, I won't take a huge bath, and can likely sell it on if it doesn't fit. If it fits and takes the brunt of even one drop, then I'll come out ahead.



A Xenon (actual Xenon, not Halogen or "semi Halogen") BA20D 50W/50W 7500K bulb is also on its way, since the stock 35W/35W "yellow peril" bulb is a bit on the weedy side. I'm hoping that the extra 15W isn't going to strain the electrics. I'd rather charge the battery regularly than ride with dim lights though.

That'll do us for now, but a screen and tyres will doubtless follow soon. Recommendations welcome!

1 comment:

  1. Ey up ... where did you get the BA20d Xenon from, Col? It's something I've been after and not found. Making do with a 35w Halogen (which is a hell of an improvement by itself) right now.

    ((just randomly ended up here whilst looking for info on CG starter motor wattage... how odd))

    ReplyDelete