Wednesday 25 March 2009

Shady dealings

No movement on the bike today - literally. Instead, I've been fiddling with my shiny helmet. Well, shiny helmets.

In anticipation of a glorious summer - scoff ye not - I've MacGyvered sun shades onto my helmets with cutting edge technology. By which I mean a pair of scissors used to cut some sticky tape.

The helmets here are a Marushin Tiger, which is the cheapest white full face helmet with a 5 star SHARP rating that I could find, and a £20 ZOMG NOT TEH B-SQUARE!!!1! open face with bare minimum ECE 22.05 (there are no open face helmets with SHARP ratings, surprise surprise) that I'll likely never wear unless I'm doing a 1/2 mile jaunt when it's hot enough out to melt the nylon tyres.

The strips are a full 50mm wide, and look like they'd cut visibility down significantly, but it's not so. From long years experience of wearing (tin) helmets, you use very little of your vertical field of view, and these sizes feel right when run through a rigorous sofa/TV interaction test. I'll start aggressively and trim them if I feel the need to look out for low flying aircraft, eagles or witches.

3 comments:

  1. Hi, I had the same idea two years ago, if you look carefully at my helmet in the picture on my site, you will see tape across the bottom of the visor mainly I use the visor as a peak to stop glaring sun and tape was ideal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aaah, nice. Thanks, that's a neat idea, since if it's tipping with rain and the visor is down, you won't need the shade. I'll give that a try tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nope; it might just be the Marushin, but putting tape along the bottom impinged too much on my vision with the visor down. Still worth a try though.

    Thinking about it, a motocross helmet with a peak and visor seems like it might be pretty practical.

    ReplyDelete