Friday 10 April 2009

An indication of problems ahead?



Today, the right rear indicator has given up the ghost. It may just be an early blown bulb, or it may be a loom issue like those encountered by both Elvgren and Lincoln DoD. Having read about that, I did cable-tie the loom into the front securing clip, so I'll be surprised if that's the issue, but I've been known to be wrong.

Also, made my first adjustment to the clutch this morning. The biting point was very high, so I slackened off the adjuster. I guess it's better to have the cable tight to begin with, as it'll likely slacken in use.

Oh, I've gone a bit Custom again and ordered a black and silver front mudguard for a Pioneer Nevada (a straight Harley clone). The Pioneer front wheel is a 110/90 16, the same size as the Huoniao's rear wheel, so I'm fairly confident that it's only 1" smaller in diameter (.5" radius) than the Huonaio's front wheel, and very slightly broader. I've measured up the forks and mounts and convinced myself that I can make it fit tolerably enough if I fab up some brackets. But then I've been known to be wrong. A lot.

Further bulletins as events warrant.

[UPDATE]

Blown bulb. Ah well, nothing exciting. I've checked the cable run anyway, and it seems OK.

The local petrol station couldn't come up with an R10W bulb, so I've bought a couple of R5Ws for emergency use, and fleaBayed 4 R10W LED bulbs which should hopefully outlast the bike.

2 comments:

  1. Check the regulator. The voltage across the battery should not exceed about 14.4V. I was blowing bulbs left right and centre and traced the regulator to be faulty. The voltage was nearly 16V! Replaced it and the situation stopped and voltage returned to normal

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's good advice. I did check it later and it was fine, but I believe that a basic multimeter is the best investment that you can make.

      Delete