Wednesday 8 April 2009

Screens up!



... but structural integrity failing.

With the blustery winds we've been having lately forever, I felt that the Huoniao needed a screen. I dithered and swithered, then ordered a Jinlun JL-11 screen, which has a classic cruiser shape. However, it had two disadvantages. One, the lower mounts probably wouldn't have fitted the Huoniao, and two, it was out of stock and I couldn't get it.

Being both impatient and tight, I instead went for a "PUIG Universal Mini Sports Touring Motorcycle Screen", in tinted. I'd have gone clear, but they were out of stock.

The image above shows the screen fitted to the Huoniao, prior to replacing the bolted on front L plate with a stickied-on floppy one on the screen. I've also tilted it a little more towards the vertical. It looks OK, but looks can be deceptive - even at its bargain basement price, I couldn't recommend this screen for the Huoniao.

It's designed for 8" headlights, and the Huonaio has a 7". I couldn't find this info anywhere, but should have checked before ordering. It does bend in to fit the headlight brackets, but at the cost of slight starring in the perspex around the mounts. I've duck taped over them and refuse to think about what's happening sight-unseen. The other issue is that the mounting bracket is made of very soft metal, and got chewed up a bit while bolting it on. It seems secure enough just bolted to the headlight, but only time will tell.

On the bright side, it does seem to be keeping the worst of the wind off of me, so I can't fault it there. I'll see how it works out.

Which reminds me, I said I'd report on the Windjammer that I fitted to my helmet. On balance, I'd recommend it; it does keep some noise and drafts out. However, it doesn't keep out all wind noise, so it's not, repeat not, a replacement for ear plugs.

While I was buying mis-sized parts, I also got a 42mm K&N air filter from Xian. I'd roughly measured up the carb intake, but this filter is just a little too big. [UPDATE: a 42mm filter fits the carb just fine, I just needed to cowboy up and clamp it on properly]. Also, to fit a filter like this, it's necessary to take the whole airbox out, disconnecting the two breathers plugged into it. Unfortunately, the air box forms the backing for the battery, so if I took the box out, I've have to find some way of securing the battery, a task made harder by the filter slightly fouling the front battery mount.

So instead, I tried something a bit Custom. I removed the air filter inlets and took off the foam cylinder. It turns out that the 42mm filter is a perfect fit over the inner inlet (with a sort of funnel inlet leading to a cylinder). Unfortunately, it can't be fitted directly onto that without some... modification. It's hacksawing time!

Quicker than you can say "Shouldn't you think about this...", I'd hacksawed the plastic cage off of the outer inlet, and most of the cylinder off of the inner one. I then re-attached the inner inlet, clamped the filter onto the end of the truncated cylinder, and replaced the whole inlet onto the air box.

Bearing in mind that the filter is fitted in "reverse", I had no idea how well this would work. In the event, it... works. The caveat is that sharply blipping the throttle from a low idle will stall the engine, but a smooth throttle works just fine. I haven't done enough distance to claim that it's improved the running, but I just don't like the big thick foam filter fitted as standard, and am happier with it out. Note that even with the butchering to the inlets, I could still refit it, by sandwiching the lip between the two inlets.

That'll likely require some re-balancing of the mixture, which I've been nudging around by a 1/4 turn to try and optimise. I've also re-done the valve clearances - I'd misgapped one of them, and curiously, you can hear that it's just one that's off - and reduced the gap on the spark plug slightly from 0.8mm to 0.7mm, since the bike was missing slightly when I pushed it (very briefly) to the heady heights of 50mph.

The next mod was the much vaunted 16 tooth front sprocket, which will reduce the revs required to hit warp speed. Again though, my measuring failed me. I bought a 428 16T for "17mm shafts". However, after removing the sprocket cover (held on by two fairly obvious chromed nuts), it transpired that the hole in the centre of this sprocket is too small for the Huonaio. I've ordered a a larger 428 16T from Xian, and await its arrival.

While I was mucking with the sprocket and chain, I took the time to tighten the chain up a little. It's just a matter of loosening off the rear axle bolt slightly, then turning both adjuster bolts by the same amount on each side (then locking them off again). The wheel still looks (and feels) straight, but I haven't done a string test yet.

Well, I need to leave myself something else to work on...

1 comment:

  1. chinese parts oline offer a selection of sprckets/chains for the wee beastie on the vixen list under lexmoto

    ReplyDelete