Thursday 23 July 2009

Lang Way Roond: the Announcening



Inspired by such adventure biking legends as The Chinese Bike Forum's SteveF and his planned jaunt from London to Cape Town, and... uh... The Chinese Bike Forum's SteveF and his planned jaunt from London to Inverness, I'm going to be setting off on a mini-epic tour of Jockland next week.

I'll be teaming up with my workmate, fellow L'rner and (soon to be) staunch chumrade, Andrew, and his accursed Japanese devil machine, a Honda CBR 125.

The itinerary is (approximately) Glasgow -> West Coast -> Oban -> Mallaig -> Ferry to Skye -> Around Skye -> Bridge to Kyle of Lochalsh -> the sheep tracks up the West Coast, all the way round past Ullapool -> North Coast to Thurso and John O'Groats -> East Coast through Wick down to Inverness -> Speyside through Aberdeen -> Dundee -> Queensferry -> Back to Glasgow.

Well, that's the plan. Obstacles include one or both bikes exploding, running out of fuel half way up Sheep Fancier Pass, or being kidnapped by the six-toed locals in the back of beyond and locked in the cellar with their sister-daughters. Alternatively, having time called by the missus and having to cane it back home by the shortest route.

I'm figuring on an average of 40mph (and that's optimistic) with 4 hours riding a day, so 150 miles a day or thereabouts. That should see us finished in... uh... actually, I have no idea, since I haven't measured the distance. Preparation is for people with fat chested PR bunnies tucked away in their London command bunkers. I'm looking at you McGregor.

Win, lose or horrible Lovecraftian human sacrifice, it should be a trip to remember.

Next post (and the last before kick off) will be an inventory of gear. I'll be carrying most of it, since the CBR 125 is about the size of a razorblade, and Andrew has gone for "sports" panniers. I can fit two big leather panniers on the back, plus two small ones on my front crash bars, so I guess I'll be pack muling the loo roll and beers.

1 comment:

  1. Good luck mate. Take your camera and post some pics.. I hope it does not rain too hard.

    ReplyDelete