Wednesday 29 July 2009

Oops, I did it again



I whipped the seat off today, and the (probable) cause of the weird missing problem was immediately obvious. I've fitted an aftermarket POSH CDI, which is larger than the stock CDI and consequently needs a custom securing solution. I'd just wired it in place to the frame at the front of the seat area with the connector (actually a plug converter) supported on top of the mount that the old air box had attached to. So when I put weight on the front of the seat, it pushed the CDI down and strained the connector. D'oh.

That seems to match the symptoms that I'd been experiencing, and a quick re-positioning of the CDI seems to have sorted it, although I'll need to do another long run to confirm that. While I was fiddling, I adjusted and lubed the chain (it was seriously slack after the Truncated Way Roond), nudged the pre-load on the rear shocks up one notch and put the carb needle back to the middle position, since the bike had a thirst on it on the last leg home.

So yet again I've self-inflicted a problem on the bike. If I'd just leave it alone, it'd be fine. But where's the fun in that?

2 comments:

  1. Hi
    very useful report!!!
    what plug converter you were using for cdi?
    thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry, I don't know - it came with the CDI, which I got from the now defunct Xian Racing. They initially sent a 5-pin converter, which they claimed worked with "90% of bikes", but cheerfully sent a 6-pin as well at no extra cost - which might explain why they went out of business.

    ReplyDelete